Macclesfield Challenge: Mediocre Start of Season

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hello folks! I'm proud to give you the first "real" update on my Football Manager 2010 challenge: the Macclesfield Challenge!

As you can see in the table screenshot below, the start of the season for the Silkmen was mediocre and completely unspectacular: 4 wins and 4 loses in the league, out of eight matches, with 10 goals scored for and 10 goals scored against my team. But it could've been worse and overall I must admit that I am pleased with how the team is doing.



Most notable win was, as you can see below, my 2-1 victory over Notts Co, probably the best team in the league. Of course, our latest win against Barnet 4-0 at home was also a joy to be watched, even though Barnet are the last placed team so they definitely lack quality.


I also got kicked out of the League Cup, losing against the better Blackpool 2-0 in a match in which we had no chances on goal and defended for the whole 90 minutes, but the boys managed to turn around the odds and defeat a superior Carlisle team in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy first round, which is really great, even though I also had to defend for almost the entire match.

The worst and most annoying defeat was at the hands of Morecambe, after leading the first half 1-0. I have made the mistake of saying to my squad that I was pleased with the result at half time and they lost all their motivation. As you can see, Morecambe scored against Macclesfield four goals in 14 minutes... something that's not really pleasant to watch. But at least I've learned my lesson and won't celebrate until the final whistle is blown.


The Silkmen's Senegalese striker Ibrahima Thiam also managed to enter the records book, scoring the fastest ever goal against Barnet, just 20 seconds after the kick off. Hopefully Thiam will continue playing as good as he does now, for the moment he is one of my best players!

0 comments: